When most people think of Greece, naturally their minds conjure up images of Santorini and Mykonos. While those islands are popular for very good reasons, there are around 150 Greek islands that can offer the same magic without all the crowds and with a local flavor. As a native of Greece, I wanted to highlight some of the equally dreamy islands such as Milos, Sifnos, Koufonisia, Folegandros, Amorgos, and Kythira – where these photos were taken. In this photo essay, my husband and I tried to convey a feeling of beautiful isolation, to create an ethereal atmosphere that makes you want to transport to Greece at that very instant. They are not cropped nor taken when other people aren’t in the photos, they are very much places anyone would like to visit for a less trodden path. Quiet, local life, stunning cliffs, and of course clear azure water – all of the criteria for a perfect summer in Greece.
1. As soon as the boat docks onto the port of Koufonisia I am greeted by the white washed walls and royal blue details, the essence that is Greece.
2. An afternoon spent swimming in the azure waters of the Aegean, my very own infinity pool.
3. Finding my very own private swimming cove secretly set between the lava on Pano Koufonissi.
4. “The Palm Tree” – a tavern set on the water, the waves crashing up against my sandy feet.
5. Indulging in fresh caught grilled fish fillets served to me by the local fisherman.
6. Nothing like a cold beer after a day in the island sun.
7. I get lost in Milos, through the moonscape of Sarakinkio Beach.
8. Morning dips in Kato Koufonisia.
9. Exploring cliffsides to find my very own piece of paradise.
10. Discovering picturesque corners and with little taverns in Kythira.
11. Walking through the postcard streets of Amorgos.
12. Not another planet, just the view from the bottom of the beach in Milos.
13. Strolling around Folegandros to catch the sunset.
14. Where the sea met the sky: Folegandros